Brendon Reading finished 2nd Australian at the 50km selection trials (Dec 2015) in Melbourne to secure selection on his first Australian senior team. His breakthrough performance was only his second 50km race and a 24 minute PB from his first 50km race in December 2014.
He started Little Athletics in u/6 and was a good high jumper before switching to walking when he was around 12.
Reading's coach Chris Erickson has also been selected to compete in Rio in the 50km walk, his third Olympics. They trained together in 2010 and now work remotely with Erickson based in Melbourne.
His older brother won the first television season of Beauty and the Geek Australia.
Reading works at the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources in Plant Biosecurity.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
50km Walk Men
Canberra, ACT, Australia
Canberra, ACT, Australia
- 4th (50km) - 2015 Australian Racewalking Championships -Melbourne Australia
- 16th (20km) - 2015 IAAF Challenge Series, Taicang, China
- 3rd (50km) - 2014 Australian Racewalking Championships - Melbourne, Australia
- Setting a personal best time and Olympic qualifier in the men's 50km Racewalking National Championships in Melbourne, 2015
- Representing Australia for the first time at the 2008 World Racewalking Cup in Russia in 2008 in the junior men's 10km racewalk
- Winning my first national athletics medal (silver) in the u14 men's 1500m racewalk in Hobart, 2002
- Southern Cross Primary School (ACT, Australia)
- Belconnen High School (ACT, Australia), Hawker College (ACT, Australia)
- Bachelor of Science - Australian National Univerity (2007 - 2011)
Chris Erickson (2010-current)
Sydney Uni Athletics Club, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Reading Institute of Sport (Dads retirement fund)
Primary Training Base
- I don't have any superstitions, but will try to use a new pair of socks for every race
- Favourite food
- Chinese dumplings
- Favourite holiday destination
- Port Macquarie on the northern NSW coast
- Favourite music
- Australian indie rock
- Dream car
- Ford Focus RS
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- A two month netflix subscription (the first month is free)
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- cross country skiing
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Jared Tallent winning 2 Olympic medals (Silver 50km walk, Bronze 20km walk) in Beijing 2008
- First Olympic Memory?
- The womens 20km racewalk at the Sydney 2000 Olympics
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- Jared Tallent has been a big influence in my life both as a training partner and a friend
- Why this sport?
- After trying my hand at most athletics events, it turned out I was quite good at walking fast for a really long time