Chris Erickson qualified for the 50km at Rio 2016 by winning the Australian selection trial (Dec 2015, Melbourne). The 50km has always been his favourite event, however he earned selection for the 20km at the Beijing and London Olympic Games. He is aiming for selection in the 20km for Rio and aiming for top-8 in the 50km.
Erickson coaches Brendon Reading. They trained together in Canberra before Erickson moved to Melbourne and now they work together remotely. Reading also earned selection in the 50km at this his first Games. Erickson is coached by Brent Vallance, who used to also coach Jared Tallent.
Erickson has a boy and a girl with wife Rachel. He is a dad, trains 150-160 kms p/w, coaches Reading remotely and works as a student adviser for the Deakin University Student Association.
His father Tim was a race walker and inspired his career. He was selected for the Olympics in 1976 and 1980 but never made the Games as the 50km event was cancelled in Montreal and the boycott and lack of funding ruined Moscow for him and others.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
50km Walk Men
Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Melbourne, VIC, Australia
- 2012 London - 38th (20km Walk) 2008 Beijing - DQ (20km walk)
- 2nd (50km) - 2015 Australian Racewalking Championships (Melbourne, Australia)
- 13th (50km) - 2015 World Championships (Beijing, China)
- 32nd (20km) - 2015 World Championships (Beijing, China)
- 10th (20km) - 2015 IAAF World Series (Taicang, China)
- Representing Australia at the 2008 and 2012 Olympic Games.
- Placing 13th in 50km at the 2015 IAAF World Athletics Championships.
- Winning a bronze medal at the 2006 Commonwealth Games in the 50km Walk.
- St Marks Primary School, Fawkner (VIC Australia)
- Strathmore Secondary College (VIC, Australia)
- Bachelor of Arts/ Business (Sports Administration and Business Management) - Victoria University (2000- 2004)
Brent Vallance (2007 - current)
Athletics Essendon, Victoria, Australia
Victoria Institute of Sport
Primary Training Base
Ocean Grove, Victoria
- Favourite food
- Mum's Shepherd Pie
- Favourite holiday destination
- Anywhere with a beach
- Favourite music
- Rock & Roll
- Dream car
- Lightning McQueen
- Personal Motto
- Keep it real!
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- $10 worth of mixed lollies
- Red Hot Chili Peppers logo on my left arm, flames on both ankles, two bird tattoos on my chest, spacers in my ears
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- David Rudisha running from the front to win and break the 800m WR at London 2012
- First Olympic Memory?
- The archer lighting the Olympic cauldron in Barcelona in 1992
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- My two coaches throughout my career, my father Tim Erickson in my formative years and now Brent Vallance. Brent will be coaching an athlete at his fourth consecutive Olympic Games and is a walking encyclopedia of athletics.
- Why this sport?
- My father, Tim Erickson OAM, was a race walker and I grew up around the sport, watching him compete so it was no surprise that I took to the sport quickly. Tim represented Australia at the 1978 and 1982 Commonwealth Games and was extremely unlucky not to go to both the 1976 and 1980 Olympics Games (in 1976 the 50km walk was dropped from the Olympics, and in 1980 he was selected to represent Australia but due to Moscow boycott and withdrawal of funding for the team he along with a number of other athletes were subsequently dropped from the team). I have used his disappointment of not making an Olympics as a motivating factor for much of career.