Unbeaten in the women's 400m during the 2016 season, Morgan Mitchell proved she was the best sealing her Olympic selection by taking out the 2016 National Title. In June she opened her European campaign with a stunning personal best of 51.25, moving up 12 places on the Australian All Time list and clocking the fastest time by an Australian for 13 years.
Mitchell started Little Athletics when she was very young, but put her athletics career on pause as a teenager to peruse her passion for netball and basketball, which she played at a representative level.
Cathy Freeman was the motivation for the talented athlete to choose athletics over other sports. She remembers watching her win at Sydney 2000 when she was in Little Athletics.
At 17 years-old she was part of the under 19 Australian Netball Squad. The same year she represented Australia at the 2012 IAAF World Junior Championships in Barcelona, Spain, placing eighth in the 4 x 400m relay final and fourth in her 400m semi-final.
She made the 400m semi-finals at the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games and placed fourth in the final of the 4 x 400m relay. With her teammates Anneliese Rubie, Jess Gulli and Lyndsay Perkin they made the final of the World Relay Finals in 2015 to secure Australia a place at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. In the July round of selections for the Olympics, Mitchell was added to the 4x400m relay squad.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
4 x 400m Relay Women, 400m Women
Carlton, Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Melbourne, VIC, Australia
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut
- 3rd (400m) - 2016 Birmingham Diamond League (Birmingham, GBR)
- 5th (400m) - 2016 Bislett Diamond League (Oslo, Norway)
- 1st (400m) – 2016 Australian Athletics Championships (Sydney, Australia)
- 7th (4 x 400m) – 2015 IAAF World Relays (Nassau, Bahamas)
- 2nd (400m) – 2015 Australian Championships (Brisbane, Australia)
- Qualifying for my first ever Olympics and at the same time winning my second 400m National title in Sydney, 2016.
- Setting a personal best time for the 400m in my first International season race in Birmingham running 51.25 in June 2016.
- Winning my first National 400m title in 2014 in Melbourne.
- Galilee Primary School (VIC, Australia)
- Williamstown High School (VIC, Australia)
Peter Fitzgerald - (2015 - current)
Western Athletics, VIC, Australia
Victorian Institute of Sport
Primary Training Base
- Favourite food
- Vegetable Dumplings
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- I have 12 tattoos and counting. They're all around my ankles/hand/wrist area. I also have one on the inside of my bottom lip.
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Gymnastics, Boxing or Badminton
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Nadia Comenci scoring a perfect 10 in Montreal 1976. Also Cath Freeman's 400m final in Sydney 2000.